Monday, May 16, 2011

Search Me, O God

Psalms 139:23 states, “Search me, O God, and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead in the way everlasting.” This past February I heard Richard Mouw, the president of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA speak on this verse in regards to interfaith dialogue. He talked about examining our own hearts and our own motives before entering into interfaith dialogue.  Often times we assume the worst of other religions and put the worst of other faiths alongside the best of our own when in fact our own motives are not always pure and the histories of our own religions have aspects in which we are not proud.
When involved in interfaith dialogue, instead of assuming the best of myself, I should assume the worst of myself and the best of others. If I do assume the worst of myself while participating in interfaith dialogue it enables me to be a humble listener. This then allows me to truly hear and to hear for understanding. The two interfaith groups that I have been involved with have helped me understand the importance of assuming the best of others and the worst of myself.  The Haven Interfaith Parent groups have been instrumental in my growth in understanding other faiths and the deepening of my own faith. Search me, O God.

No comments: