Thursday, December 15, 2011

It's A Choice


Twice in the past six weeks I have heard three words which profoundly impacted me. Those words are:  It’s A Choice.

At the Interfaith Event: Why Must I Suffer? Robert Rogers told the heart breaking story of losing his entire family during a flash flood in Kansas.  He shared the memory of his deep pain and how those around him would have understood if he had turned to drugs, alcohol or other things to ease his suffering. Instead, Robert said, "You either trust God or you don’t. It’s a choice." Today, Robert’s life is a testimony to his choice. Not only the choice to trust God initially, but the choice to trust God everyday. In his choice to trust God he has given hope and strength to countless others who are suffering. Truly, if Robert can make that choice, I can make that choice.



Later I heard Dalia Eshkenazi speak. Her story has been written by Sandy Tolan in "The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East". Dalia shared that as a Jew, her first choice for peace was opening the door for Bashir, the Arab, whose home she now lived. Dalia shared that her journey of making peace between one Jew and one Arab required a choice. Again, as with Robert Rogers, not just one choice, but a choice needed to be made every step along the way to stay on the path to peace. She shared events where that choice seemed almost impossible to make. Truly, if Dalia can make that choice, I can make that choice.



As a follower of Jesus I am compelled by the mystery of Christmas. The mystery that God would become flesh and know the suffering of humankind. The mystery that God would become a baby and be born in a profoundly humble setting; that he would carry our sins in his death; and be resurrected so that I am free to live. It is in understanding that mystery that I am compelled to heed the words of Jesus. In Matthew 22 Jesus says "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself." This Christmas I pray that I will make the choice to love God and to love my neighbor. For truly, it is a choice.

No comments: