Thursday, August 11, 2011

Depending on God

Once again this year I was invited by my Muslim friends to the Taste of Ramadan. The Taste of Ramadan is an 'iftar', a community meal to break the fast during Ramadan in which the Muslim community in Fort Wayne hosts people like me, a non Muslim. The Taste of Ramadan organizers invite Muslim and non-Muslim speakers to speak on various topics before the fast is broken. We broke our fast at 8:53 pm. Fasting is not easy and as much as I was trying not to watch the time, I was completely aware of the time. The organizers had a wonderful meal prepared with food from around the world. As a community we broke our fast together.


Once again this year I decided to fast for one day. Ramadan lasts for thirty days so my fasting for one day is quite insignificant. As a Christian I have to admit that I have never fasted as a spiritual discipline. Many Christians do, but I have not. That is not something I am proud to admit. As I fasted again this year I realized that there is something powerful about coming  together as a community, as in the Muslim faith, that says we are doing this together. This being my second year of fasting for one day (and it truly is insignificant) I begin to sense the power and life changing force of the spiritual discipline of fasting. Quite honestly, the first year I fasted, my mind was on survival. I remember opening and closing the refrigerator and pantry doors what seemed like a zillion times. I remember counting down the hours. But since I had done it once, this year I knew I would survive. I knew it was not a good idea to stay around my home so I kept my mind and body occupied. And when I did get hungry (at 2:30) I prayed. I prayed that my life would depend on God as much as I depend on food to maintain my life. During my one day of fasting I did not wonder if I would survive, but instead I begin to contemplate my dependence on God. My insignificant one day of fasting made me admire my Muslim friends for their discipline, but I also became, maybe somewhat envious, because I experienced how fasting deepens a person's spiritual life. As a follower of Jesus I am thankful for what my Muslim friends are teaching me. Maybe next year I'll fast for more than one day.


I'm wondering if there are spiritual disciplines that you do or have partaken in that have deepened your faith? If so, please post a comment and let me and fellow readers know about your discipline and how it impacted your faith.

No comments: